Monday, September 27, 2010

Happy Hippo

So, a couple of years ago both my sisters-in-law and I were all expecting.  I`m not sure what was in the water at the family gatherings, but I didn`t recommend anyone drink it.  ;)

E was due first, but I`ve never in my life seen a lady get given more due dates than her.  Needless to say, we were expecting a baby sometime between late November and January. 

Which created a big question for Christmas.  Whether or not there would be a new addition by then was anyone`s guess.

As the Crafty Aunty-to-be, I decided to be ready just in case. But what do you make when you have no idea if it`s a boy or a girl (or if it would even be there!). This was what I came up with...






 Basically, it`s a gigantic floor pillow in the shape of a hippopotamus (with an opening mouth!).  Completely machine washable, it`s great if you have carpet you don`t want a little mess on, or if you just need a bit of extra padding on hardwood or laminate flooring.  Since G didn`t arrive in time for Christmas, I made it out of a buttery yellow dimple chenille (quite possible my favourite material ever).  And it turned out to be a pretty welcome addition at the house, because `little messes`didn`t quite describe what he was capable of.  :)

I recently finished up another one to deliver as a baby gift, and as I begin to ponder what all the Crafty Aunty has planned for Christmas 2010, I was just reminiscing a bit...

3 comments:

  1. These are adorable!!! Why don't you sell them? They are very unique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. kk-krista, we do sell them on special request, but they are a very expensive item because they use a LOT of fabric, and that super cozy minky dot is our favourite for texture, but not exactly for price...

    ReplyDelete